MIT-TRAINING AND PLACEMENT CELL
- Things to keep in mind before starting out with your resume: While preparing your resume, first and foremost consideration is your typography – the font and the size. Next ensure usage of good resume keywords.
- Information that your resume must contain: Updated and correct contact information – your full name, address, phone number and email address. Educational qualifications in chronological order – it is better to have this information associated with the names of the institutes that furnished the degrees or certificates. Mention professional qualification and/or training if undertaken.
- Length and Formulation of the Resume – Resume should not be more than 1 Page. There are steps in which you must proceed in order to structure your resume as per planning. Avoid unessential capitalisation or use of bold letters.
- Use effective titles for headings: Remember this is where you will be judged. You may add an objective statement. Take care to construct the lines. It should not be a paragraph. One or two lines are sufficient. Try not to sound too vague. It serves as a pointer to the position you want to see yourself in. Do not use generic soft skills like‘hard worker’, ‘team player’, ‘dynamic’ etc. Surely the employers expect these of you but do not like to read them on the resume.
- No Grammar mistakes: Pay attention to sentence constructions and grammar. Ensure that there is zero grammatical error in the document. Make an effort to find out the appropriate expressions and spellings. Here is where you make an impression. Be formal and polite in approach. Also be precise in your statements. Remember that your training and accomplishments must have credibility in form of a diploma or certificate.
- Be Positive Above all in your resume and interview-you must be positive. Therefore, leave off the negatives and irrelevant points. Focus on the duties that do support your objective and leave off irrelevant personal information like your race, weight, and height.
- White Space is Important White space is important. Open up the newspaper and take note of which ads first catch your attention. Are they the ads that are jammed full of text, or are they ads that have a large amount of unused space (“white space”). This is done to grab your attention, as readers are always attracted to open areas.
- Start Applying Now, you’re ready! Start applying-Apply for some jobs that appear to be above your qualifications, apply to positions that are a match, and apply to positions which may be below your level. Why? Perhaps the position below will turn out to be more than it appeared once you interview for them, or perhaps once you have your foot in the door you can learn of other opportunities. If nothing else, interviewing more and more will increase your interviewing skills. it will decrease your nervousness, and increase your skills for facing tough questions.